Thursday, December 17, 2009

PostCard Friendship Friday - Christmas 2

This week is PCFF # 49 - on The French Factrice she has posted a sweet child holding a Yule Log.  I couldn't find a Yule Log among my postcards, but I think you are going to like the card I am sharing this week.

Meier & Frank was a chain of department stores founded in Portland, Oregon, and later bought out by May Department Stores. Meier & Frank operated in the Pacific Northwest from 1857 to 2005.

2005 May Department Stores was bought by Federated Department Stores, which then renamed itself after its flagship store, Macy's. The store (and many other venerable department store names owned by Federated) became “Macy’s”, amid public sadness at the passing of an era, just before the store’s 150th birthday.  Quoted from Wikipedia

I noticed it was addressed to "Miss" Ida who lived in "CITY".  I think the following may explain, I read this while I was researching the stores history HERE:
When Meier arrived in Portland in 1857, he was one of 1,300 residents who made their home in the fledgling Oregon Territory community, founded 13 years earlier. Although Portland had yet to complete the transition from town to city, the community's distinction as a major commercial hub along the Pacific Coast would not be long in coming.
In 1908 over 100 years ago The Meier & Frank Store mailed postcards to children from Santa!  In reading the history of the store I believe the downfall started in the 1960's when the two families had disagreements in managing the stores.  


13 comments:

Marie Reed said...

This is AMAZING history! My jaw dropped . I can't wait to call my Mother and tell her the history of her favourite store:) Happy PFF!

Lydia said...

What a thrill to find this old postcard from Meier & Frank, especially at Christmas time when I'm missing my mother who died in 2000. I moved to Salem, Oregon, in 1976 -- when Meier & Frank was The Store downtown. When my mother retired to this area in 1979 we enjoyed many good days shopping/window shopping - and frequently stopped for lunch at Meier & Frank. I have not been inside the store since it became Macy's.
Gerry Frank gave a talk to an all-staff meeting where I worked in the mid-90s. What a classy guy. And his specialty cake store, Konditorei, in Salem is a decadent delight!

I'm not a regular PFF-er but I sure am glad that I joined in today!

Jules said...

What a wonderful post card and to know something about the back ground too...wow.

Bonibleaux Designs said...

Oooh what fun and what a find!! LOVE this!!

Postcardy said...

What a great Christmas postcard! Little Ida must have been thrilled to receive a postcard from Santa.

Sherrie said...

Hi!
Beautiful postcard! I would like to receive this postcard from Santa! Thanks for sharing all your info. Have a great day!

Sherrie
A View of My Life

steviewren said...

Can you imagine getting a beautiful postcard from your favorite store with no more advertisement than their name? My jaw would drop!

Christine said...

It's very sad that every dept. store is now a Macy's. It used to be you could buy anything and everything at Meier and Frank. The cast iron lid to my underground heating oil tank is stamped Meier and Frank!
As for the City address, I have found that it was acceptable to just write "City" on a card if it was being sent to someone in the same city.

maryt/theteach said...

Lyneen, I agree with Marie, the history of the Meier & Frank store is wonderful! The picture of Santa's lovely blue car is incredible! :)Happy Holidays!

Aimee said...

What an amazing card! I love the history behind it as well! I really like Santa's "sleigh" too!

Beth Niquette said...

I remember going to the Meir & Frank store with my Grandmother. She and I would take the bus into Portland and have a lovely day.

Hahaa..we also visited "Monkey Wards," now defunct.

Happy Pff! And I loved the postcard.

Snap said...

I love the Santa in the great car surrounded by toys. Fun to read the history of the Meier and Frank Store. Thanks and Happy PFF!

Anonymous said...

I strongly recommend Overnight Prints for purchasing postcards. They have thousands of designs to choose from and their prices are amazing. Free templates are available in the design guide section of their website as well.