Sunday, January 31, 2010
Valentine Waterfall Card - Saturday, Jan 30th 10-Noon
Friday, January 29, 2010
Thursday, January 28, 2010
The least important word is
The important word is
The two most important words are
The three most important words are
IF YOU PLEASE
The four most important words are
WHAT IS YOUR OPINION
The five most important words are
YOU DID A GOOD JOB
The six most important words are
I ADMIT I MADE A MISTAKE
The old US Post Office was built in 1914 and served as the main post office for Amarillo until 1939 when a larger building was built at 207 5th Street. The building was later named the Coble Bldg. This card was postmarked the about the time the SUNDRY CIVIL APPROPRIATION BILL, 1921 was being discussed.
SUNDRY CIVIL APPROPRIATION BILL, 1921
AMARILLO TEX POST OFFICE
FOR ENLARGING MAILING PLATFORM ETC
The CHAIRMAN You have an item in House Document No 643 for the Amarillo Tex post office as follows That of the unexpended balance of the appropriation for the construction of a post office building at Amarillo Tex not exceeding $10,500 is made available for enlarging the mailing platform and for making certain interior changes in said building When was that building completed
Mr WETMORE In 1916 We have a balance of nearly $11,000 on account of that building The CHAIRMAN You want $10,500 for enlarging the mailing platform Mr WETMORE And for interior changes The CHAIRMAN What interior changes do you propose to make
Mr WETMORE On the first floor of the building to give the post office additional accommodations This enlarged mailing platform would be an inclosed platform that would really have the effect of enlarging the post office quarters That is not a large cost considering the number of square feet of space gained That is one of those cases where perhaps we could have gone ahead and expended the unexpended balance without any question being raised but the balance had not been reserved for this purpose it was to take care of painting and some other things We had more than we needed to finish the building and the balance has not been turned in When I was asked the other day whether it could be used for this purpose I said No we should get authority from the Appropriations Committee to use it for this purpose The work contemplated is along the line of things that we are doing with that $220,000 appropriation you granted especially for such purposes It is a case where there is an unexpended balance from the building appropriation that might be used to afford relief by providing some very much needed accommodations
The CHAIRMAN Is the town growing
Mr WETMORE Yes sir
The CHAIRMAN Very rapidly
Mr WETMORE I do not know how rapidly I will supply for the record a statement showing the number of square feet that this would give in the way of relief and the price per square foot NOTE: The platform will be enlarged 200 square feet
The CHAIRMAN Also supply for the record if it is available in your office a statement of the postal receipts down there since 1916 so that we may see how great this congestion is
Mr WETMORE I will do so
The post card reads: August 23, 1921 Dear folks, Sure lots of country but like it best at home. We had good luck roads and weather coming down and are on our way back. Everybody feeling fine. Elmer & Elisabeth
Today the First Bank of Texas is in the building. GO to see the renovations done by Lavina Architects!
Monday, January 25, 2010
Please leave a comment if you are interested in my giveaway. All I ask is you have an active blog and if you win there is a way to contact you via your blog. You have until February 14th Midnight PST to enter. I will choose a winner on February 15th. Please take time to visit other participants of One World One Heart here! You will find them listed on the sidebar. There are tons of Giveaways!
Sunday, January 24, 2010
Friday, January 22, 2010
1. Cover bowls or dishes when cooking in the microwave.. Coffee filters make excellent covers.
2. Clean windows, mirrors, and chrome... Coffee filters are lint-free so they'll leave windows sparkling.Sara left a comment with uses for the crafter
3. Protect China by separating your good dishes with a coffee filter between each dish.
4. Filter broken cork from wine. If you break the cork when opening a wine bottle, filter the wine through a coffee filter.
5. Protect a cast-iron skillet. Place a coffee filter in the skillet to absorb moisture and prevent rust.
6. Apply shoe polish. Ball up a lint-free coffee filter.
7. Recycle frying oil. After frying, strain oil through a sieve lined with a coffee filter.
8. Weigh chopped foods. Place chopped ingredients in a coffee filter on a kitchen scale.
9. Hold tacos. Coffee filters make convenient wrappers for messy foods.
10. Stop the soil from leaking out of a plant pot. Line a plant pot with a coffee filter to prevent the soil from going through the drainage holes.
11. Prevent a Popsicle from dripping. Poke one or two holes as needed in a coffee filter..
12. Do you think we used expensive strips to wax eyebrows? Use strips of coffee filters..
13. Put a few in a plate and put your fried bacon, French fries, chicken fingers, etc on them. It soaks out all the grease.
14. Keep in the bathroom. They make great "razor nick fixers."
15. As a sewing backing.. Use a filter as an easy-to-tear backing for embroidering or appliqueing soft fabrics.
16. Put baking soda into a coffee filter and insert into shoes or a closet to absorb or prevent odors.
17. Use them to strain soup stock and to tie fresh herbs in to put in soups and stews.
18. Use a coffee filter to prevent spilling when you add fluids to your car.
19. Use them as a spoon rest while cooking and clean up small counter spills.
20. Can use to hold dry ingredients when baking or when cutting a piece of fruit or veggies.. Saves on having extra bowls to wash..
21.. Use them to wrap Christmas ornaments for storage.
22. Use them to remove fingernail polish when out of cotton balls.
23. Use them to sprout seeds.. Simply dampen the coffee filter, place seeds inside, fold it and place it into a plastic baggie until they sprout.
24. Use coffee filters as blotting paper for pressed flowers. Place the flowers between two coffee filters and put the coffee filters in phone book..
25. Use as a disposable "snack bowl" for popcorn, chips, etc.
- Inked backgrounds
- Stamped candy pouches
- A holder for beads and small pieces on your work table while crafting
- Embossing powder catcher
- Hand-crafted flowers
Dear ChildrenWe've just left the Columbia R. at Umatilla soon we will be gliding along the Snake R. father is feeling better I am no worse we had a pleasant time at P.O.s baby is quite a girl. Well I have a sore stomach to take east with me alright sot far. Mother
Monday, January 18, 2010
If you are tired of getting really lame snail mail. it usually consists of bills and junk mail; occasionally a magazine. not very exciting. Kecia recently i found 2 boxes of vintage Valentine's Day cards at the flea market. Kecia said...
so i was thinking about how could i do something fun with these cards and i decided that i want to exchange Valentine's cards with you! this isn't a swap, there is only one rule: please only participate in this if you will truly follow through. i don't think that is asking too much! your card does not have to be vintage or handmade
If you are interested visit Kecia HERE at Lemoncholy
Sunday, January 17, 2010
How sweet to do a giveaway! I have been a follower for a few weeks now and really enjoy your posts.
What beautiful treasures of your birth!! Happy Birthday Lyneen!!
And what a fun, generous give away you are having! Isn't that backwards ... aren't we supposed to be giving YOU the goodies, LOL!! Happy Day my friend!!