Thursday, January 7, 2010

PostCard Friendship Friday - Tower Bridge, London

The French Fatrice, hosts Postcard Friendship Friday.  The word 'factrice' is French for postmistress.   This week Marie has given us a glimpse of Piccadilly Circus, London and a little history on "union jacks"! 


Today I am sharing a couple of postcards from my collection of The Tower Bridge.



A bit of information:  Its present colour dates from 1977 when it was painted red, white and blue for the Queen's Silver Jubilee. Originally it was painted a chocolate brown colour.  Read more on WIkipedia.

14 comments:

Marie Reed said...

These are just wonderful! I am quite the youtube junkie so I enjoyed reading about the Jubille and I found her speech on Youtube too! Happy PFF! Great post:)

Jeanette said...

Lovely images. Thank you for sharing.

Postcardy said...

It sure is different from the bridges where I live.

grace said...

Thank you for the beautiful post cards, my wish is some day to see it in person

viridian said...

Thanks for sharing. Happy PFF!

Christine H. said...

This is just the most amazing bridge. I'm so glad it exists.

MuseSwings said...

Nice views of this majestic bridge! Happy PFF!

Snap said...

Great cards! Happy PFF!

Beth Niquette said...

Someday I'll visit there--thank you for sharing these wonderful postcards with us! Happy PFF!

Mary said...

Happy PFF! Interesting knowing the original colors. I loved walking across this bridge from the Tower of London. I remember most the size of the crows (perhaps they were ravens) and the Crown Jewels!

Sheila said...

I've never yet seen the bridge open - I suppose it would cause chaos with the traffic - but it's still very impressive when closed. Walking across the top level gives some fantastic views!

Stacey said...

Love the images- Thanks for sharing! Happy PFF...

Carole said...

Fantastic cards.

Shaunna said...

Gorgeous cards - here is a current one for you to enjoy http://shaunnaf.blogspot.com/2007/01/48.html :D Have a great day!