Saturday, January 9, 2010

Silver Sunday #2 - It's Fishy

I am joining Gypsy Fish for the second Silver Sunday.

This week I am sharing my cherished set of German Silver Fish Forks and Knives.  Yes they are tarnished.  The photos are taken in natural light as not to reflect the flash.  
Some of them need to be soldered again.
If you look closely you can see the fish engrave on each fork & knife.

A fish fork is a fork which is meant to be used while eating fish. In a formal table setting, the fish fork is typically smaller than the meat fork, and it is paired with a knife, to assist the eater in manipulating the fish on the plate. When a table has been well set for a formal dinner party, the utensils are laid out in the order that they will be used, allowing diners to easily identify the fish fork.  

My set makes it even easier to identify as each piece of silver has a fish engraved on it. Go to Gypsy Fish and check out other silver treasures.

16 comments:

Marsha (Sassy Mini Dolls) said...

Memories! I had forgotten all about fish forks and knives! My stepmother has a set with her silverware!

You have a beautiful set!

((Hugs))

Gypsy Fish said...

I must find myself a set of these for sure....and there's nothing fishy about that..thanks for posting!
See You Next Sunday......
{{gypsy hugs}}
Beth

Julia - "Vintage with Laces" said...

That is the most gorgeous fish fork and knife set! I love the engraved fish!

Have a great Silver Sunday!

Hugs,
Julia

ceekay said...

Love them...so ornate!

Sylvia said...

Who wants to eat while you have this beautiful setting at your table? Love all that detail...

Sharlotte said...

What lovely pieces...thanks for the info on the fish knives. I've seen them before and assumed they were for eating fish...now I know! They are so pretty. I love all the detailing. Thanks for sharing.

Brynwood Needleworks said...

Hi Lyneen:
Your fish forks and knives will be wonderful with my Spode Hunters set of dishes...except that the "Service Police" would probably arrest me for not using them strictly for serving fish. lol It's really an interesting and lovely set. Thanks for sharing.
Silver Sunday is so informative!
xoxo
Donna

The Lazy Peacock said...

stunning! i just love the fish forks and knives. i am going to start to look for a set!

Theresa @ 612Riverside said...

Those are so beautiful! I love all of the lessons I'm learning on Silver Sunday! ~ Theresa

Sue (Someone's Mom) said...

Those are very cool...lucky you!

Sue

gina g said...

The silverware is awesome! I would almost want to use it everyday!
~hugs

Sonia said...

I love your fish fork and knife set! The engravings are so beautiful! Don't you just love silver? Have a great week and thanks for the visit! Miss Bloomers/Sonia

Vintage Blue Studio said...

That's exactly what I would need in a formal setting because otherwise I wouldn't know what fork and knife to use with each meal, lol! Wonderful pieces!

Sherrie said...

How fitting to be displaying your fish forks, which I love, for a blog party hosted by Gypsy FISH! Thanks for stopping by my blog. Aren't these blog parties fun!!

Carole~Maynard Greenhouse said...

I've never seen such detail. They must be from the victorian era when they really were so good at detailing a dinner table. Now a days with fast food that art has gone bye bye too.
xo,
Carole

FILIGREE MOON said...

Such pretty detail! Thanks for sharing. ~ Angela