Friday, February 26, 2010

Postcard Friendship Friday and V-MAIL

I love this postcard, even though it doesn't have a supper clear image to get a photo of.  written to Miss E Birch of Little Horton, Bradford. (Little Horton is a Ward in Bradford Metropolitian District in the county of West YorkshireEngland, named after the de -Horton family,who were once Lords of the Manor. from Wikepedia)  It doesn't have a date or a postmark.  Not sure if it was ever mailed. 

Dear Elsie,  Just a not to wish you all a very Happy New Year and to say I am in the pink ad going to a concert tonight.  Best to all at home.  From, Uncle John XXXX 

V, or Victory mail, was a valuable tool for the military during World War II. The process, which originated in England, was the microfilming of specially designed letter sheets. Instead of using valuable cargo space to ship whole letters overseas, microfilmed copies were sent in their stead and then "blown up" at an overseas destination before being delivered to military personnel. 


Along with my postcard collection I have a small collection of V-Mail.  If I see a V-Mail I pick them up.  They are very interesting pieces of history.  Some are even heavily censored.  This particular V-Mail was sent to Esther C/O the YWCA in Tacoma, Washington!


Please join Marie the "factrice" for Postcard Friendship Friday.  The word 'factrice' is French for postmistress.

9 comments:

Snap said...

Wonderful card and a post full of information. Lucky you to have a collection of V-Mail. Happy PFF!

Postcardy said...

Interesting--I have never seen a V-Mail before.

Linda said...

V-mail is new to me, too. Thanks for posting this history. Happy PFF!

Kymberly Decker said...

I loved the first postcard--so sweet! I didn't know about V-mail either! Thank you for sharing the history with us!

This is why I love collecting vintage images and joined this group!! There is so much history and personal past in everything!

I appreciate the fact that preserving the past is such an important part of what we do every Friday for each other!

Thank you, Kymberly

viridian said...

Hey, I agree with the previous psoters, there is so much to learn. I did not know about V-mail either. thank you for your wonderful post.

steviewren said...

Love your postcard and the info on v-mail was very interesting. I knew that special paper was used to write letters but I didn't know it was microfilmed.

Sheila @ A Postcard a Day said...

This is so interesting! You now have yet another to say, "I hadn't heard of V-mail either". :)

Mary said...

And here I thought V mail was short for Voice Mail!

Irene said...

I too have never heard of V mail. Thanks for a wonderful post. Happy PFF ( a few days late)