Valentine and Sons of Dundee were once Scotland’s most successful commercial photographers. In 1907, at the height of the postcard revolution, the photographs they published showed scenes from around the world. Often regarded as only postcard publishers, Valentines produced images in various formats including fine early photographic prints.
The Valentine company was founded in Dundee by James’s father, John Valentine, in 1825. After learning the daguerreotype process in Paris in the late 1840s, James added portrait photography to the family business in 1851. By the 1860s the company had begun to cater to the growing tourist industry by producing photographic prints with views from around the country. After James’s death in 1880, his son William Dobson took over the ever-expanding business.
At Valentine’s the greeting card gradually replaced the picture postcard. What remained of a card making empire was sold to Hallmark Cards Inc. in 1980. ~ From the Toronto Postcard Club
Today St Kilda has been absorbed by the metropolis and the road survives as one of the city's major arteries, flanked by a mix of office, residential and mixed use towers. The street is known for its width and leafiness. For most of its length, the wide street consists of a wide shared footpath, street side parking, a bicycle lane, two lanes for motor vehicle traffic, median strip reserve, another two lanes for motor vehicle traffic and a tram line on either side.
The Old Treasury Building on Spring Street in Melbourne, was once home to the Treasury Department of the Government of Victoria, but is now a museum of Melbourne history, known as the City Museum.