Friday, June 11, 2010

Postcard Friendship Friday ~ Walter Graham

Postcard of mural at Rocky Reach Dam 
Up close of the horsepower!
From the back of the postcard.

WALTER GRAHAM painted this mural at the Rocky Reach Dam. Raised in Chicago, he began his art career in 1922 when he entered the Chicago Academy of Fine Arts. He became an illustrator for Street and Smith Publishers which included works for "Western Story," "Western Life," and "Appaloosa News." In 1939, he helped form a commercial art studio in Chicago.  He later sold his interest in the commercial art studio and moved west where commissions for paintings, murals, and sculpture were frequent.

Walter Graham was a prolific painter, a savvy businessman, and respected artist.  Born in Toledo, Illinois in 1903.  In 1999 Walter received the Governors Arts Award for his outstanding service to the cultural life of the State of Washington.   At age 96 he was still painting in his Wenatchee studio.  resident artist of the Wenatchee Valley for 50 years, Walter Graham passed away May 5, 2000.

His murals adorn the walls at Pangborn Airport, Alcoa Wenatchee Works, Rocky Reach Dam and many other public buildings.

Other posts referencing Walter Graham:

At Ettas Project

At Judy's Junk & Java

Join other participants of Postcard Friendship Friday HERE.
Thanks Beth for hosting it.

8 comments:

Postcardy said...

Interesting mural, but the horse images are kind of disturbing.

Shelly said...

I wonder if Bev Doolitle got her inspiration from his work???

I like it!

Have a great weekend back to work tomorrow,,,,,I've been gone forever!

Hugs,
Shell

Mary said...

I love the horses. Whenever I see large, angry waves crashing on a shore, it reminds me of thundering horses, as well. Cool post!

Irene said...

Great post.

Sheila @ A Postcard a Day said...

I always call the foam on the sea "white horses" and that was what I first thought when I saw this. It must be a magnificent mural to see in real life.

Dorincard said...

Very cool visual metaphor!

If you find a postcard with wild mammal(s), and it might be available for swap with me, please let me know.
:)

Clytie said...

Ack, I'm slipping! I didn't even see the horses until I looked at your close-up of the white water!

Such a beautiful card! I'm going to have to look up more of this guy's work, I see.

Happy PFF - a little late.

Beth Niquette said...

I believe this may be on of my favorite postcards of all time.

I am just floored by these postcards...they fill my eyes.

They inspire me.

Thank you and Happy PFF!