Saturday, June 26, 2010

Trip to Seattle-Photos From the Ferry-Seagulls .... Weekend Nature


When I first moved to Seattle I didn't realize it was so far from the ocean.  All pictures show water everywhere.  I was soon to learn the water was Puget Sound.

Puget Sound itself is a body of water lying east of Admiralty Inlet, through which ocean waters reach inland some 50 miles from the Pacific Coast to provide all-weather ports for ocean-going ships at Seattle, Tacoma and Olympia. The waterway is a complex and intricate system of channels, inlets, estuaries, embayments and islands. (Learn more about Puget Sound HERE.) 

The seagulls are all around the Sound.  Seagulls follow the ferries as they crisscross the waters.  You will find photographers trying to catch their best shots of the birds on the upper decks.  
The pictures don't seem real to me.

The seagull is perhaps best known as being a scavenger. It is most often seen in large, noisy flocks congregating wherever food is available. They can almost always be found around fishing boats, picnic grounds, parking lots and garbage dumps. More info on seagulls HERE!
To see more Weekend Nature visit Grey Scale Territory HERE.

2 comments:

Bonnie Bonsai said...

The seagulls look pretty regal in their flying form. I know they are noisy and avarice but I love to spoil them. Only because I am a stranger to them and I do not leave where they are.

Thanks for the visit Lyn... much appreciated.

I can see you like stamps. Want to consider swapping?

Am still working on my weekend memes. Am pretty slow as I play jigsaw in between and it's already 2am Sunday here.

Cheers!

Greyscale Territory said...

These are wonderful shots of the seagulls in flight! Love the series including the first one of some many white feathers gathered around the pier pylons!

Thank you again for joining in my Weekend Nature!

Enjoy the rest of the weekend!