Saturday, August 14, 2010

Perseids Meteor Shower

Catch a Falling Star!

I have been reading about the Perseids Meteor Showers... wondering if I could see them from my house. We don't live near a "BIG" city, but there are small city lights nearby. Last night at midnight I decided to go out on our back deck and see if I could see the showers myself. I DID SEE THEM! Sometimes I thought I had just imagined seeing them, then I realized they are FAST! If you have a chance get outside late tonight and see them for your self... I live in the Pacific Northwest. People all over the world are witnessing them!

The Perseid meteor shower has been observed for about 2000 years, with the earliest information on this meteor shower coming from the Far East. Some Catholics refer to the Perseids as the “tears of St. Lawrence”, since August 10 is the date of that saint’s martyrdom. Originating from the constellation Perseus, Perseid Meteor Showers are active this year 2010 from July 23 to August 24. However, it will peak on the night of August 12, 2010 where 60 or more meteors per hour will be visible in the sky.

2 comments:

Shelly said...

Gorgeous Light show! I slept through them! LOL

Lyneen! Here is the deal,,,don't know if you can manage it, but would love it if you could!

I'm coming over on Thursday. I am hooking up with a Blogger friend, Debi, from Omolulu blog fame,,,,,and we're headed to Sequim,,,,,,,and Port Townsend....and whatever ELSE we can cram into a day over on the Penn............

So, as it stands now,,,,,,we are going to meet up with my friend Lisa (of Davies Dialogues), my sister in law from PA, Debi and I and hopefully Debi's sis from FORKs for LUNCH in Sequim.....then we're going anitiquing, junking..exploring whatever! Is there a Chance you could meet up with us all for lunch in Sequim????

My blog friend Lisa suggested, "The Old Mill?"

Any insight/advice on where to go would be awesome! Of course, would love to see your anitque booth too!

Email me and let me know IF you could meet us....so far,,,we're flexible, other than we need to kind do lunch in Sequim,,,,,,because Lisa works and although has a "Flex" lunch hour,,,,we'll need to eat Somewhere in Sequim!

Would love to hook up/meet you this Thursday,somewhere that day before heading back home! Let me know!

Shelly39WA@aol.com

Hugs and love,
Shell

Faye said...

Many a night throughout the years I've crooked my neck trying to see a meteor shower. Occasionally I do see small bits. You are lucky indeed to have witnessed this fantastic display.