Friday, October 22, 2010

Postcard Friendship Friday - LOVE?

I thought this was a funny card from 1912!
When I read the back I got a chuckle... the card was mailed from Port Orchard (not far from where I live) and sent to Seattle. The sender writes about seeing Ellen in three weeks. Today a trip to Seattle takes a good part of a day. I wonder how long it took a century ago. I know the highway wasn't around. Maybe the ferry?
Thank you Beth of Best Hearts are Crunchy for hosting Postcard Friendship Friday.
To see more postcards GO HERE!

6 comments:

Beth Niquette said...

Oh that is such a wonderful postcard! How hilarious! lol

Lyneen, would you mind if I borrow this one for my cyber collection???

I adore it! Happy PFF!

Snap said...

Fun card. We take transportation for granted now. The postcard might arrive before the person does (instead of the other way around)!!! Happy PFF

MuseSwings said...

An overland trip through the swampy and piney wood wilderness between St. Petersburg and Tampa, Florida took 3 days. It would take me longer as I stop at every roadside stand on the way.

Joy said...

The course of true love never runs smooth. Great card.

Sheila said...

What great fun this card is! I'm afraid I had to look up the places on a map to see what you meant about the journey, Yes, I think it would have had to be a ferry.

Clytie said...

Wow. What a wonderfully hysterical card! i guess things don't change all that much, do they? :=}

I found a journal page my grandmother wrote in the early 1920's documenting a trip to the beach from near Portland (Oregon) to Seaside (about 1-1/2 hours by car). They were gone for 3 months. A month to travel there (horses and wagons), a month camping at the beach, and another month to get home. So I can imagine all such trips during that time were long and tedious!