Sunken Gardens and Conservatory in Mitchell Park Milwaukee, Wis
Mitchell Park, 64 acres, might be called the "Flower Park of Milwaukee County." Thousands of people attend the chrysanthemum and orchid shows which have earned national recognition. With its magnificent sunken gardens, formal flower beds and lily pond, open pavilion and natural amphitheatre and its playgrounds, this park is a delight in summer and winter.
The original conservatory in Mitchell Park was built in 1898, but was in need of so many repairs that it was decided to demolish it in 1955 and build a totally new design.
In 1967 the final of three bee hive shaped domes were completed to replace the conservatory. The domes each house a different environment. They are the Temperate Dome, Tropical Dome and Arid Dome.
The historic outdoor Sunken Gardens built in 1905 were removed in 1994 when the original four lion-head fountains were put into storage. Today there are reflecting ponds in the park. A current project plans to reclaim the lion-head fountains for the new design in the works.