Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Vintage Thingie Thursday... Pickle Castors

My two pickle castors sit on the side board in my dining area. They were a gift from my father-in-law. I just cherish them!

Quoted from the Atlanta Antique Gallery

Victorian Antique pickle castors are a table accessory generally consisting of a silver plated frame fitted with a glass insert, matching silver plated lid, and matching tongs. Antique Pickle castors were very popular during the Victorian era. The antique pickle castor inserts may be found either in early American pattern glass (EAPG) or in art glass. As a rule, the fancier ornate and figural frames were reserved for the more intricately decorated jars of fine enamels and rich glass forms such as peach blow, cranberry, blue, amber and rare green inserts.

10 comments:

Catherine said...

Your pickle castors are gorgeous, Lyneen! The frames are beautiful - such intricate designs! Really, really lovely!

Alison said...

So pretty and fancy! I've never heard of pickle castors until just now. I'm new to all things vintage!

Thanks for voting for my kitchen! I appreciate it! :)

fitty's pinky rose cottage said...

wow! never see a pickle castor set before! this is totally new to be.. and I love the set! very victorian! thanks for sharing..

Blue Ridge Altered Art said...

You have a beautiful collection of pickle castors. Thanks for sharing them with us. ~~Sherry~~

Postcardy said...

Those are interesting thingies. I never saw or knew about pickle castors before.

LV said...

These are very pretty pickle castors. You are fortunate in having them.

Tammy said...

Oh wow! I never knew such a thing existed but I do truly love them!

Coloradolady said...

These are really nice!! They really would look great on a table...Happy VTT!

Anna said...

Gorgeous pieces, I've never heard of them. They are so ornate, really lovely!!

Castors said...

Really looking very nice castors and we have also some other castors here so please find our link from title