Friday, May 27, 2011

Postcard Friendship Friday - Decoration Day AKA Memorial Day (1 of 5 Posts in honor of Memorial Day)

This card is a little worn, but it is my only Decoration Day card.

This will be my first of five posts in honor of Memorial Day,
please come back each day to view my new post.  
I am sure you will enjoy the vintage postcards and photos.


Formerly known as Decoration Day, Memorial Day, commemorates U.S. soldiers who died while in the military service. Decoration Day, began during the Civil War, family and community members would place decorations, such as flowers and flags, on the graves of the war dead.  Decoration Day (later declared “Memorial Day” 1882) was made an official holiday by General John A. Logan on May 30, 1868. Over time, however, the holiday began to encompass all wars of US involvement.  In 1971, Memorial Day was declared a national holiday by an act of Congress, though it is still called Decoration Day by some.

Visit Best Hearts Are Crunchy to view more postcards!

6 comments:

Sheila @ A Postcard a Day said...

I think the fact that it's a little worn makes it seem all the more precious. It has seen life. :)

Snap said...

Wonderful postcard for Memorial Day. Happy PFF!

Hazelicious929 said...

That's an interesting postcard. Mine is up - My PFF Entry.

MuseSwings said...

I saw that card at Cardcow.com while searching for my PFF card! I looked at if several times - trying to decide if the boy is saluting or pointing heavenward. Very nice and - I remember Decoration Day!

MrCachet said...

This is a great Memorial Day card!

MrCachet said...

I also scrolled down and found the cast iron steam engine and the post(s) on Hugette Clark, daughter of one of three 'Copper Kings' who turned a mountain in Butte, Montana, into a huge pit in the ground. Great city with a ton of history! I just obtained 40 years worh of Montana History magazines several weeks ago, and I'm certain I'll find at least one article about this lady...