Friday, January 20, 2012

The Hive - Valentine e-Swap!

I have added my little dress form in my shadow box to the "Dress Form Party"
I was introduced to the party 
by my virtual friend Garage Sale Gal!

The shadow box is a sewing theme! ENJOY!



"U R SEW SWEET"

The Hive Valentine Swap theme was sewing. My Valentine is a shadow box.  I didn't buy one thing specifically for this project... all the supplies were already in my studio. A lot of my time is spent in thrift stores, flea markets and antique stores looking for treasures that could be used in future projects for little cost. Finding them is the challenge!


Before starting I searched my stash for every heart button or charm I could find and anything that had to do with sewing (you will find a supply list at the bottom of this post.) I decided my color pallet would be reds/pinks, white and brown/golds. That I would use Scrabble letters. 


First, prepare a shadow box.  The first layer of paint was gesso (any white craft paint will work) to give it a base coat. The second coat of paint is Making Memories-Shopping Bag, then Making Memories-Bordeaux to give it a shabby look.  Any craft paint will work. 

I collect vintage Valentines, this one is perfect for my  box.  To give this one it a little dimension I used Sakuro 3D Crystal Lacquer on the scissors and set aside to dry.



I had a little Cherub that I wanted to use for several Valentine projects.  To do this I created a mold with Amazing Mold Putty and made several cherubs with Creative Paperclay®. I also made molds for the half spools and frozen Charlottes.

Distress the Scrabble letters by lightly inking them with Versafine Crimson Red and wiping it off, then ink with Memento Rich Cocoa and wipe again. This gives them an "aged" look.

Then you are ready to start arranging the treasures in the shadow box.  It will take several times arranging things to get them the way you like them.  Here are pictures of the final arrangement. 









HAPPY VALENTINES DAY!

Supplies:
Shadow Box
Tacky Glue
Paint: Gesso, MakingMemories: Shopping Bag & Bordeaux
Ink: Versafine-Crimson Red and Memento-RIch Cocoa

Charms: hearts, scissors, cherub, lock & key, hand with heart, 

Embellishments: Brass piece for top, paper scraps, vintage photos, ribbon, snaps, needles, flowers, buttons, keys, thimble, lace, embroidery floss, vintage Valentine, old buckle, bingo piece, Scrabble letters, barbie shoe, safety pin, rhinestones.    





To learm more about The Hive a gathering place of artists and more click HERE!

6 comments:

GARAGE SALE GAL ~ Deb's Earthly Delights said...

I LOVE your new Lilly puppy! She looks so sweet!
Awesome Valentine shadow box!!! Great way to use up some smalls!
Warmly,
deb

Shirley said...

Om my gosh!!! I am just now finishing up a artist tray with the same "sewing" theme! I love this. I'm going to steal your "Scrabble Ties" idea. I just needed that last finishing touch and that is it!
GREAT JOB!!! Thanks for sharing.

The Polka Dot Closet said...

Oh this is so cute, love your shadow box...So sweet! Thank you for joining the dress form ball!!

Carol

GARAGE SALE GAL ~ Deb's Earthly Delights said...

I think your little dress form is the smallest one at the galla! Maybe she would like to visit with my 2 girls!
Deb

Sandy said...

Hello... I love your little shadow box... a sewing theme is just so perfect. I took three of Tim Holtz's boxes and filled them with all my **Littles**.. Have a look if you like...I'd love to meet and greet you when you get a chance.
Have a great day.
xoso
Sandy

Debbie@Debbie-Dabble and A Debbie-Dabble Christmas said...

Love your sewing themed shadow box and cute little dress form!!

Hugs,
Debbie