Saturday, April 21, 2012

EARTH DAY Blog Hop! JUNK JOURNAL

Winner  of the Blog Candy
In a random drawing the winner is!
Morninglass said...
I love your book! You have given me lots of great ideas as well, thank you!
Welcome to LeslieRahye’s Earth Day Blog Hop! This hop is different than most, you will have all the links on each post you visit.  You can start in the beginning, middle or randomly hop just be sure to visit all the blogs.  SOME HAVE BLOG CANDY... like me... more about that later!  
What is a "junk journal", to some it is a journal that you record random thoughts, list, ideas that pop into your head, designs for later use, you get the idea. I heard “Junk Journal” and “junk mail” is the first thing that popped into my mind!  Yes, I use mail advertisements, old envelopes, paper bags, pieces of scrapbooking paper, items left over from other projects and much, much more.  I do not write in the Junk Journals I create unless I intend to keep it for my use. I believe my journals are similar to “Smash Journals” except I am “smashing” the pages into the book without the journaling. Today I am sharing my version of a "JUNK JOURNAL." These are so much fun to make. Nothing was bought for the sole purpose of creating this journal.  Use your finished project for your own journaling or as a gift for an artist friend who will appreciate it!  

If you are like me you have a hard time tossing even small bits of paper.  Yes, I have to admit my stash of scraps of paper and leftovers from projects is overpowering my studio space.  One resolution is creating my JUNK JOURNALS!  Choose an old book cover that is left from some other project. Use this as the guide for the size of pages you will make.
When I create cards for my design team projects at Viva Las Vegastamps! I stamp a lot of images on dress maker tissue.    Sometimes I don’t use everything I have stamped and it is set aside for later use.  What great home for the image of the  Balloon Airship (available at VLVS!), my junk journal!
Brown paper bags, sheet music, torn paper are all great candidates for a junk journal.  Glue smaller scraps on larger pieces of paper. (Click on pictures to enlarge.)  Use your border punch on others. All of those sheets of pattern paper bought years ago and taking up space are perfect for a junk journal.  A stray glassine envelope makes a great spot for a keepsake with a little hand to show you it is there!!!
Old envelopes, vintage postcards, advertisements, some Viva Las Vegastamps! Strap Tape found a spot on these pages. Have any left over rub-ons? No where to put them... add them to pages in your junk  journal.  
Flash cards, bingo cards and old stationary.  The sky is the limit... if it is paper laying just around then add it to your junk journal.  Photos, vintage school records, old ledger paper all add to the interest of the journal. 
Hidden treasures add a little fun, this pocket contains a game piece from a popular game in the 60’s.
Gather all the pages and put them in the shell of an old book. I buy books from thrift stores, garage sales and library sales to rip apart for my art.  What better way to use the book covers. Three hole punch all the pages and the book cover. Use rings to hold it together.  This makes it easier to add pages and move pages around if need be. Sakura Crystal Lacquer was used to secure everything to the cover of the book. The first layer applied was torn old sheet music, covered with lace and trim.  The finishing touches a few flowers and ribbons.

The finished journal is ready to use or give as a gift!

Now for my Blog Candy... I love old paper and what a perfect gift to give away on my Junk Journal tutorial.  You can win this  1/2 pound packs that I sell at the local antique store, Simply Renewed.
Included in it is vintage paper, pages from old books,  buttons, lace and more.  All paper is, as is.  YOU WILL LOVE IT.  Just be sure to leave a comment on this post for a chance to win.  I would love for you to become a follower, but it is not necessary to have a chance at the blog candy.  I will post the winner Wednesday evening.  April 25th about 7PM.

22 comments:

Molossus said...

I've often considered making a journal similar to this. You've inspired me!

Kitty G said...

My niece is crazy about Smash book. I must show her your post. Even better to win you candy and give it to her to get started on her own handmade smash book. Thanks for sharing

KathyJo said...

What a beautiful journal. I can't call it a junk journal since there is nothing junky about it. It is an artist's journal. LOVE IT!!!
KathyJo
skrappindiva29 at hotmail dot com
http://skrappindiva.blogspot.com

Kiki Halbert said...

Amazing Junk Journal! I love how you used even small scraps and pasted them onto other pages. Brilliant!

Amanda said...

Love it! I am officially addicted to making books now and see many, many more in my future :D

A Creative Operation said...

I love your junk journal! Excellent job!

Robyn (RedDogGirl) said...

Genius! I love this idea! It is like making your own smash-type book only better because you can use leftovers from other projects and then have those pieces spark memories as you use the new book. Plus, when I have leftovers bits of stuff I really love I can give it a good home. Also, I never thought of gutting a hardcover book and using the covers - Thank you for that great idea!!

didi0518 said...

Smashing and Junk Journaling is so much fun!!! What a great little tutorial!

Sheri said...

Awesome junk journal. I made one last year from an vintage book covers. Its still sitting in the closet though. Someday I will play with it. LOL

Morninglass said...

I love your book! You have given me lots of great ideas as well, thank you!

Cari said...

I love the idea of a junk journal, and same as you, have trouble throwing paper away! This is a great way to use it....someday will make one of my own. Thanks for sharing your process and for having the giveaway.

Fabrizio Martellucci said...

Totally adorable journal, love it and so much work went into it ! x Fab

Edie said...

What a SMASHING smash book!!!! I have seen the ones for sale in the stores, but in NO way do they compare to this beautiful piece of art. It doesn't even need anything else! Great job.

Vidette said...

Great way to use up bits & pieces into something beautiful. Love the idea of this.

Regena said...

that is really nice! I like it a lot

Susan M. Brown {sbartist} said...

Thanks for sharing you fantastic JUNK journal project! I am so inspired...and I think I can create one of these with everything on my table right now...I even treated myself to a combo journaling/glue pen to affix to the cover. Happy Earth Day : )

Barbara Rankin said...

Love your junk journal. Now I am inspired to use up all that junk overpowering my studio, too. :)

Michelle Frae Cummings said...

Great junk journal! And I would love to win the bundle of goodies!

silvia said...

LOVE your "junk" journal!! What a fun mix of pages!!

Tarnished Rose said...

I couldn't believe it when I saw this post. Just the other day, I ran across a book cover/back just begging to be filled, but had no clue how to do so. NEVER thought of using binder rings. Thanks so much for a great tut. Would LOVE to win your giveaway!

Yeppers, I'm a happy follower.

Smiles~
Marilyn

Jess B. said...

This is great. Have thought about making a junk journal (since I soooo many scraps) but just haven'g gotten there yet. Very inspirational. TFS

Rachel said...

I love this idea!