Thursday, April 5, 2012

Steampunk Altered Tins

Today I am sharing some of my Steampunk containers that could be used as Easter Baskets, gift giving or party favors!  All stamps are from Viva Las Vegastamps!  VLVS! has one of the largest selections of STEAMPUNK STAMPS around!!! 

First collect several sizes of tin cans... wash them thoroughly, dry! Make sure the rims are safe from any rough edges.   Cut paper for the size of the outside of the can you are using. Layout the stamps to get a general idea of what the papers will look like. 
Stamp images (ink Versafine Black) then heat emboss using VLVS! Ultra High Gloss Embossing Powder. Mask images and stamp the gears in the background (ink Versafine Crimson Red) then heat emboss the gears.
Once all the stamping is finished then it is time to start assembling.
Cover the outside and inside of tin cans with pattern papers using Viva Las Vegastamps! Miracle Tape to adhere. 
Punch holes (used Crop-a-dile)for handles.  Be sure to punch the holes before adding any embellishments. 
Glue decorative lace to the top rim of the cans, and let dry. Add wire handles on the the containers.  On each end wrap the wire put up the handle.  Add a piece of wire wrapped around the top of the handle. 
Measure around can and cut a piece of Viva Las Vegastamps! Miracle tape that length + a half inch. On the sticky side pleat the crepe paper streamer. When finished, put a piece of one sided tape on the pleats to keep in place.  Remove the protective strip from the Viva Las Vegastamps! Miracle Tape and adhere to the inside of the  can. 
I added "Bolt Tape" and "O-ring Tape" to the back seam on two of the cans. Gives the impression the tape is holding the seams together!
Now your containers are ready to fill for gift giving!

Supplies:

Viva Las Vegastamps! Steampunk Stamps 
Nesting Gears #18077
Man in Flying Machine #18161
Eiffel Tower Medium # 1728
Flying Man #8675
Round Top Bird Cage #17128
Lady with Bird Cage #6409
Victorian Balloon #6302
Flying Bird #12009
Binoculars Lady #17170
Scales of Justice #18079
Steampunk Couple #17660
Ferris Wheel #16038
Tin Cans
Ink
Crepe paper
Wire
Gears-7 Gypsies
Lace


You could win this vintage paper pack...

My blog candy is one of my 1/2 pound paper packs that I sell at the local antique store, Simply Renewed.  Included in it is vintage paper, buttons, lace and more.  All paper is, as is.  YOU WILL LOVE IT... just be sure to leave a comment on this post for a chance to win. I would love if you would become a follower, but it is not necessary to have a chance at the blog candy.   I will post a winner Monday evening,  April 9th... About 7PM PST!

Thanks for hopping with us. 



This hop is a little different than others I have done in the past, you will have all the links on each post you visit.  You can start in the beginning, middle or randomly hop just be sure to visit them all.  SOME HAVE BLOG CANDY... like me... 







31 comments:

Stampo said...

Love all the Viva Las Vegastamps! you used, Lyneen and the O-Ring tape looks especially effective. Thanks.

Regena said...

Great job! Love you stamp choices!

Lee said...

I love how these look, great color choices. Beautiful stamps.

Susan M. Brown {sbartist} said...

Fantastic idea and project! Love your "Steampunk Style"! So many great ideas on this hop. Thanks for the blog candy, too! Hippity Hoppity...

Pammejo said...

Amazing Easter Basket, love the steampunk you applied to each. Thanks for the step out directions, very cool. TFS http://pammejo-scrapbookflair.blogspot.com/

Linda Kittmer said...

Great idea for Easter 'baskets'. I love those stamps.

KathyJo said...

What a spectacular project. I am in love, of course I always am when I visit your blog. I always adore your projects. These are so perfect. Great stamping and embellishing.
KathyJo

Fabrizio Martellucci said...

Amazing steampunk project :) tfs X Fab

BurningRubber said...

That is an awsome idea! I love the stamps you used on the cans.

Barbara Rankin said...

Lyneen, love your tin can favor baskets. The VLVS stamps look great on it, and I really like how you made the crepe paper ruffle. I am crossing my fingers to win your paper pack, since altering books is one of my most favorite things to do. They would come in mighty handy. LOL. TFS.

Amanda said...

Very cute! I love the Miracle Tape Crepe Paper!

Jewels said...

Thanks for sharing. These cans could be nice for storage or any kind of gift giving, too! Would love to win this and I am following your blog, too. I've unsubscribed from a pile of e-mail and love being able to follow by e-mail so I don't miss them! God bless...Juliana

leslierahye said...

so I have this stash of clean cans....I think this would be fun to do for ANY occasion but especially for spring...I'm thinking little May Day baskets!! Thank you for being a part of my hippity steampunk easter blog hop!

Morninglass said...

I love these! I have been known to glue paper to cans in the past, but I have never used the cool tapes that VLVS has available. that looks awesome!

Pat said...

Love the whole idea! Recycled steampunk!

Susan said...

Love upcycling, especially with cans which are so readily available! Great job,

BevinUSA said...

This is so pretty I love the lay out and the colors

Thank you for sharing

Lisa H said...

I love those stamps you used! awesome

Kitty G said...

These cans are freaking cute - I love them. I wish I felt I could be as creative as you.

paula said...

Great idea...love your steampunk cans!

Anonymous said...

Lyneen
Great Steampunk egg or gift buckets! What a great idea!
Spideycindy

Shirley said...

Oh my gosh Lyneen, you used so many stamps and they look so well together. You make it look effortless! Simply Gorgeous!

Jess B. said...

Love these cans. Look at all those stamps. TFS

cass said...

What a great idea for a teenager at Easter, love love love it.

Molossus said...

I love the way you used the O-ring tape! Fantastic project!

Raven said...

Beautiful stamping and the color choices are great. Really do like the vintage look.

Jrodgers50 said...

Love the cans/baskets. Plan on visiting the Vegas stamp site.

silvia said...

LOVE the steampunk cans!!

michelle said...

wow what great idea for easter baskets ! they look amazing ! love the whole look and vintage feel to them great job !

Michelle Frae Cummings said...

Beautiful creation! Loved how you upcyled those cans!

Linda said...

I love your containers...those Steampunk stamps are fabulous!