Monday, May 26, 2014

"In Flanders Fields"

During my early years in school, I remember memorizing "In Flanders Fields"   as a class and reciting for an assembly.  At that time I didn't understand what John McCrae was describing.  Today when I hear it I rememberer reciting it, more importantly I remember those who died fighting. 


In Flanders Fields 


In Flanders fields the poppies blow 
Between the crosses, row on row,   
That mark our place; and in the sky   
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.


We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,   
Loved and were loved, and now we lie         
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw   
The torch; be yours to hold it high.   
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow         
In Flanders fields.

Canadian physician Lieutenant Colonel John McCrae was also a poet.  John McCrae was in the FLANDERS region of Belgium, April of 1915, fighting the Germans.  It is said, after the battle he noticed how fast the poppies grew around the graves of the fallen. Learn more about "In Flanders Fields" and John McCrae: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_Flanders_Fields

3 comments:

Beth Niquette said...

What a beautiful post. Thank you.

Jean Moore said...

What a lovely post Lyneen. Thanks for the quiet moment.

Verna Angerhofer said...

I remember this poem as well and thanks so much for reminding me of it. I think the poppy is so pretty but it also has a special significance when it comes to Memorial Day.