Friday, April 1, 2016

Postcard Post: Cherryelyn, Denver Colorado

OK, this card intrigued me when I first saw it.  I just couldn't pass it up... I wanted to know more about the car with a horse on it. Since it appeared that there was a Horse Car by the caption, it went right in the stack of must have postcards!

CHERRELYN Horse Car, Denver Colorado Postcard! Horse powered car one way and the return was gravity with the horse as a passenger on the car.



From the History of Colorado: to learn more click on the link!
The Cherrelyn Line built in 1883 operated until 1910. The fare was 5 cents, but increased to 10 cents at sometime during operation.  The horse was hitched to a car at Hampden and Broadway. Taking 15 minutes, it pulled the car up one-and-a-half miles of track on a steep Broadway hill to a small shopping community called Cherrelyn. Here the horse was unhitched and boarded the back of the car onto a platform. Gravity took the passengers and horse back to the route's starting point, the ride back was only three minutes. 

Mailed Dec 4,1908 from Denver, Colorado to Turlock, California

From the best that I can tell, the message is:
I will write letter Sunday and send you the money have not be feeling well so sorry have not written before it is very cold and lots of snow here. Albert 


If you are interested, there are more pictures of the Cherrelyn at the Digital Denver Library HERE!


I am sharing this postcard with Postcard Friendship Friday!

Note - all postcards shared on Postcard Friendship Friday are from my private collection

2 comments:

Paul van Yperen said...

Hi Lyneen, What a great find. Your card is a bit surrealistic with the horse as a passenger. So it fits 1 April very well. The story behind it is interesting, and the message made me a bit sad. In my town there are still hundreds of trams, but not as beautiful as this one and I never met a horse among the passengers. Happy PFF!

Beth Niquette said...

Oh, my goodness!!! I adore this postcard, and the story behind it. Wow! That is very cool. Ah, I laughed--and I dearly needed to do so. Thank you sweet Friend! lol Happy PFF!