Friday, April 29, 2016

Postcard Post: The Tropics at Waikiki

I have always LOVED Hawaii...  I have collected a few vintage postcards of Hawaii.  On Postcard Friday I plan to show some of cards.  I hope to share some of the history of the islands the is behind the cards!

One of the hot spots in Waikiki was The Tropics at Waikiki Beach



Found this in a Tropics match book cover:
Year in ... Year out,   
the favorite restaurant of Island residents...
serving finest prime rib, corn fed exclusively...
Island game fish...
caught and served daily.
 
COCKTAILS in TROPICAL LUXURY 
 
2254 Kalakaua Waikiki
Phone 996108
 
1607 Kona St
Ala Moana
Phone 93428
 
Proprietors Peaches & Tony Guerrero
 
~~~~~~~~~
The matchbook got me wondering about the proprietors...so I started to do a little searching....
 
Tony Guerrero was an "Island Boy"! In the 1930's he went to Hollywood made a several movies.  While there he meet the beautiful Peaches Jackson, who was pursuing her career in the movies, the rest is well... Tony owned his first restaurant in Hollywood.  When they sold it they moved to Hawaii. In 1940 they bought a waffle place, that was to become the first Tropics restaurant.  In 1958 plans to build what was to become the Ala Moana Shopping Center were under way and that location was closed.
 
Read more in "Creating Hawai'i Tourism A Memoir" by Robert C. Allen  
 

 
I am sharing this postcard with Postcard Friendship Friday!

Note - all postcards shared on Postcard Friendship Friday are from my private collection
 

1 comment:

Beth Niquette said...

These are just wonderful! WOW! I really loved reading the history you wrote about the "Island Boy." SO interesting. Happy Postcard Friendship Friday!