Friday, July 27, 2012

Sakura Altered Blog Hop ~ Honoring Mom

Welcome to
SAKURA's All Things ALTERED BLOG HOP!

We are so excited to share our All THINGS Altered Projects.  Yes, we have Blog Candy....  A bottle of Sakura Crystal Lacquer and three jars of Terri Sproul Mixers.  There will be ONE Winner... to win visit all the blogs (you will find links below) then go the the Sakura Blog and leave a comment letting us know your favorite project. The WINNER will be posted on Monday the 30th on the Sakura Blog


HONORING MOM
Breast Cancer Touched my Life when Mom was diagnosed in December 2007.  We lost Mom this past December, she fought four courageous years!  Family was the most important thing to her in life.  She was the one who inspired the creativity in her children.  I have wanted to do something to honor her.  So here it is "A Beautiful Pink BRA" in all its glory! I know if she were here today she would be pacing asking, "When can I try it on... Can I wear it to the lake!"
Painted with Sakura Crystal Lacquer mixed with Terri Sproul Mixers - Pink Shimmer the Bra is stiff enough to stand on its own! The butterflies painted with Sakura Crystal Lacquer mixed with Terri Sproul Mixers - Pink Shimmer and Tanzanite blue.
One night I started pulling things from my stash and playing with what I found.  As you can see from the picture above and the one below the project evolved as I worked on it.  I used wire to attach all the metal pieces.  A small awl was handy to make holes in the lacquered bra. 
Each item on the bra represents something in mom’s life.
4 - four years and her four children
Butterflies are her grandchildren
Locking washers - spouses and other family members
Blue gem on the 4 for her great grandson
Pink Gem on the 4 for her great granddaughter she never got to know
Wire on the 4 - her ability to keep everything going, everything together
Gold trim and sequins - she loved a party, crazy hats and outlandish outfits!
Flower her love of gardening
Beads on one breast that had cancer.
Wings that she earned
Charms represent some of the things she loved in life
Camera - photography and scrap-booking
Christmas Tree - her favorite holiday and big family dinners
Airplane - the trips to Europe she enjoyed with her sister
Bird house - for the 20-30 bird feeders she had called “Beaksburg”
Clock - how precious time is.
Heart - her unconditional love
Silver Feather - from a pair of earrings she wore 
Scissors -the clothes she made when we were small, prom and wedding dresses 


This may not be finished as I look at it I know there are things in Mom's life that I missed.  So don't be surprised if you see this again in the future with a few additions... LIKE SOME WINGS!

Comments Welcome!

Don’t forget to visit all the blogs in the hop and then let us know on the Sakura Blog your favorite project!

13 comments:

leslierahye said...

beautiful project Lyneen! I love the details of the meaning for all of the elements that you used! Very heartfelt.

Terri Sproul said...

completely rocks..

Winslowwoman said...

I so love it..I lost one of my very dear friends to breast cancer,so this strikes a spot deep within me..

Tanya said...

Fabulous, love all the meaning behind each element on it!!

Lee said...

Love this, you can see how important this piece is to you. Bravo for being so fearless in the creation of this piece. This couldn't have been easy. It is so fun to look at.

Debbie Buckland said...

Wonderful memory project

ScrappinFabPam said...

I love all the sentiments that went into making this item. How thoughtful.

silvia said...

What a beautiful tribute to your mom!!!

Clare D. said...

I have never thought of altering lingerie! Thanks for the inspiration.

Michele from MS said...

Lyneen thanks so much for sharing your story. Your mom sounds like she was a true joy to be around. I love that each item represented important things in her life. Great project and really cool techniques! TFS msmith38652@gmail.com
http://michelescraftroom.blogspot.com/

Amanda said...

A beautiful tribute to your mom (you need a Kleenex warning on the post) absolutely heartfelt and lovely :)

Barbara Rankin said...

This is so creative, and meaningful. I love how you tied so many things together in memory of your mother and family. I know you will cherish this forever.

Linda K said...

Wow, now that's some imagination for mom :) Great project.