Saturday, April 24, 2010

My Tussie-Mussie Arrived this Week

First, what is a TUSSIE-MUSSIE... 
A Bit of History - By Sue Williams

The language of flowers spans the world of the ancients from Greece and Turkey to the Aztecs of South and Central America.

In England during Elizabethan times, judges carried tussie-mussies into their courtrooms to protect against "gaol fever." Today judges at England's highest court, the Old Bailey, celebrate this tradition by carrying a tussie-mussie into court six times a year. During the Victorian era tussie-mussies were carried close to the nose to ward off the stench in the streets and the plague and were composed primarily of scented herbs such as rosemary, thyme, and rue. The age-old custom of strewing pungent herbs on the floors of homes was thought to protect the gentlefolk from germs and provide herbal fragrances - early aromatherapy.

I love the swaps at A SWAP FOR ALL SEASONS.  I received a wonderful package with my TUSSIE-MUSSIE from my swap partner Patti at Creative Cottage Dreamer.  Here are a few pictures of my amazing gifts!
All the goodies...
I love my Tussie-Mussie!
This is the sweet gift card she included in the box!
and some beautiful postcards...
She cross stitched the rabbit...
I love the vintage items like the picture and trims...
and the handmade tag with the picture of the young girl...
I love the bird nesting in the Tussie-Mussie!
This was a wonderful package to open!!!!!
Thanks Patti

4 comments:

Lynn Stevens said...

Lucky you, how sweet that tussie mussie is, Thanks for the info on how they started. Very interesting. I always wondered where they came from!

Catherine said...

Look at that wonderful little bird and nest Tussie Mussie! Oh my! Those little lace leaves are fabulous. Such a wonderful package!

Linda said...

I love the colors she used in her tussie mussie. What a wonderful package!

Patti said...

Lyneen~ I am glad you liked everything~ You were a great partner to have and it was so much fun putting everything together for you! Glad it all arrived safely!