Thursday, April 22, 2010

Postcard Friendship Friday ~ Mount Rushmore



I mentioned a box of 150 vintage postcards I purchased recently at an online auction. Here is another card from that collection. Construction on Mount Rushmore. I believe this is the face of George Washington.
Mount Rushmore, the President's Mountain, is located in the Black Hills of South Dakota. It was the brainchild of Doane Robinson, known as the “Father of Mount Rushmore.” His goal was to create an attraction that would draw people from all over the country to his state.
Facts About Mount Rushmore
The four presidents carved in the mountain are George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, TheodoreRoosevelt, and Abraham Lincoln.
It took 14 years to complete Mount Rushmore.
Of the 14 years to complete only 6 were actual construction years. Funding was an issue during construction.
No one died while building Mount Rushmore.
The sculpture cost $989,992.32 to build.
There is a cave behind the carving called the "Hall of Records." It was intended to house the story of Mount Rushmore but was never completed due to lack of funding.

More reading:
Thanks Beth for hosting
Postcard Friendship Friday.
To see more Of Postcard
Friendship Friday click here!

9 comments:

Beth Niquette said...

Oh, my goodness! That is so cool! I envy you your box of vintage postcards!

Happy PFF!

Postcardy said...

I always like seeing views of the construction of Mount Rushmore.

Snap said...

How interesting! You hit the jackpot with these cards. Happy PFF!

Dorincard said...

Lyneen, your interests are a GREAT example of the confluence of hobbies that I advocated for a long time: stamp collecting, deltiology, scrapbooking, etc.
I'm very glad I found you! :)

Terry said...

Howdy
Oh My Gosh !
This is simply fantastic.
Happy PFF to you and congrats on the great auction find :)
I have always wanted to see this place in person ever since I saw the movie North by Northwest and being curious read up on this fantastic monument .
Thank you for sharing with us .
Have a wonderful weekend.
Happy Trails

CafebyJW said...

Great jackpot! Nice to know more about other cards in collection too.

Sheila @ A Postcard a Day said...

I was sent a modern view of Mount Rushmore just recently so it's lovely to see it under construction.

MrCachet said...

Gutzon Borglum was the force behind the 'construction' of the monument. Quite a story. Have you ever seen Chief Crazy Horse? Another great story.

Clytie said...

I've never seen Mt. Rushmore, but maybe someday I will. I love this card that shows a 'work in progress'! Amazing. I never knew about the cave behind it. It's funny how I thought I knew all about this monument, when in reality I know so very little.

Happy PFF!