Thursday, April 15, 2010

Postcard Friendship Friday Washington Capitol

Last week I received a box of 150 postcards 
I bid on in an online audition.  
I will be sharing a few of these with you over the next couple of weeks.


Here is a snapshot of my 150 vintage postcards!!!

Here are two postcards of the Washington State Capitol.  Through postcards I have learned a little more about the state I live in. 


When I found the two very different pictures I became curious and started to do some research.  On HistoryLink.org I found some very interesting information on the background of the two buildings.  Washington became a territory in 1848 and a state on November 11, 1889.  In 1893 $500,000 had been appropriated for a legislative building a nationwide competition was held for the to select an architect.  Ernest Flagg of New York City won.   He designed a building dripping in ornamentation complete with corinthian columns.  


The building was to be paid for by government land grants. By the time the "Silver Panic of 1893" came about the funds were not available.  The foundation had been poured by this time.  WORK STOPPED.  The building was never completed. The foundation was barricaded and sat until the new capital was built!  In 1901 the Thurston County Courthouse was bought and would serve as the capital until 1924.

This building is now on the National Register of Historic Places.

Finally building resumed and the domed building was built. 


 This time it was decided there would be a campus, the capital building was to be built on the original foundation with some expansion.  In  the second photo you can see the surrounding buildings.     


For more fun visit Beth our awesome hostess!

Happy PFF!

10 comments:

Riki Schumacher said...

This is fascinating, who knew?? Love that you looked it up, and love that you posted about it! Wow, all those postcards, very cool. Riki

Postcardy said...

That's interesting that a county courthouse served as a state capital for so long.

Beth Niquette said...

Wow--that is SO interesting! I used to live in Washington so this is VERY fun to read about. Thank you! Happy PFF!

Sheila @ A Postcard a Day said...

So many cards! I've enjoyed your background to the buildings, it's what I enjoy most about collecting postcards, I think.

Shelly said...

Lyneen, I LOVE vintage postcards, one of my favorites!

As a "lifer" in Washington, and living in a historical town, I always love learning new things about our state!

Thanks for sharing! Have a great weekend, I think the sun will bring folks to Snohomish this weekend,,we'll be hoppin!

Hugs,
Shell

Snap said...

Looks like you hit the jackpot! Good for you. Interesting info about your capitol.

fortuitous faery said...

wow...what a treasure loot!

Shaunna said...

Thanks for stopping by! Those are great buildings!!! Happy PFF!

CafebyJW said...

I bet it is great win, they look stunning.

My Bangkok Through My Eyes!
You Got A Posty

Catherine said...

Wow- look at all of your fabulous cards! Nice to hear the stories behind the capitol building!