Friday, April 2, 2010

Postcard Friendship Friday ~ Easter 3

***UPDATE 4/2 PM***
I love sharing on the internet.  This is a card from my collection.  I didn't know too much about the card, but one of my visitors today gave me a little insight on the artist.  Linda from The Paper Doll Collector shared:

How wonderful!  I recognized the artwork immediately, but couldn't place the artist until I saw M.E.P.--that's Margaret Evans Price, children's book illustrator, wife of the founder of Fisher Price. Terrific find.

Can you believe Easter is here???
Here in the Pacific NW we are in for a blustery weekend!

A little history about Easter Postcards:

The tradition to send Easter postcards to relatives and friends developed in the end of the 19th century. During the year 1898 there were only a few Easter cards sent but the amount of sent Easter cards raised in the following years worldwide. Soon it was courteous and polite to send Easter postcards. In the beginning, monochrome as well as colored cards were printed. Most of the time in the center of the cards was an oversized colored egg. 

In the years around 1910 on the cards were mainly monochrome pictures which were sometimes colored with children in the context with lambs, chickens, ducks and eggs. Young girls were a symbol for luck and hope. The Easter bunny which was a personified symbol of fruitfulness was often portrayed with eggs. German publishers were leading in the production of Easter postcards before the first world war.

Once you begin to move beyond basic background information, you begin to realize that there’s more to Post Cards than you may have first thought.

By Anders Eriksson


12 comments:

Evelyn Yvonne Theriault said...

I've always loved the "dress blowing in the wind" type of postcard. It really captures Easter weather - at least up here in Quebec!
Evelyn in Montreal

Bob of Holland said...

A delicate and beautiful postcard. I also loved your history of sending easter postcards. Happy easter and PFF.

Irene said...

Lovely card, and I love to learn more about why? Thank You. My post is here.

Dayhomemama said...

Lovely Easter Postcard, and thanks for the little history lesson, I always love that!

Beth Niquette said...

Thank you for the history on Easter postcards. I really enjoyed learning about this. Though I've collected postcards all my life, it is only in recent days I've dealved into the history behind them.

Lovely postcard--with our impending windstorm, this truly fits the day!

Happy PFF!

Terry said...

Howdy
Happy PFF to you .
Oh my goodness this was truly a delighful postcard.
Simply adorable vintage girl,and
I love the colors.
Thank you so much for sharing
the history of Easter postcards.
It is so much fun to learn more about postcards.
Wishing you a safe and
Happy Easter.
Blessings of joy to you and yours.
Happy Trails

Joy said...

I've always wondered about the prevalence of Easter cards. Lovely breezy card.

Postcardy said...

Some countries had monochrome postcards around 1910, but the cards sent in the United States were usually very colorful and printed in Germany.

sarala said...

Thanks for the history! I live in Chicago but visit my father in Seattle frequently. Some day maybe I'll make it by your shop. Happy PFF.

Mary said...

We've got blustery easter weather in San Francisco this weekend, too.

Happy Easter!

Linda said...

How wonderful! I recognized the artwork immediately, but couldn't place the artist until I saw M.E.P.--that's Margaret Evans Price, children's book illustrator, wife of the founder of Fisher Price. Terrific find.

Clytie said...

What a wonderful card! I have found and kept postcards ... have been fascinated by them ... most of my life. But, like Beth, I never really cared about the history behind them until recently. Which is why I appreciate this wonderful postcard history you shared!