I mentioned a box of 150 vintage postcards I purchased recently at an online auction. Here is another card from that collection. Construction on Mount Rushmore. I believe this is the face of George Washington.
Mount Rushmore, the President's Mountain, is located in the Black Hills of South Dakota. It was the brainchild of Doane Robinson, known as the “Father of Mount Rushmore.” His goal was to create an attraction that would draw people from all over the country to his state.
Facts About Mount Rushmore
• The four presidents carved in the mountain are George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, TheodoreRoosevelt, and Abraham Lincoln.
• It took 14 years to complete Mount Rushmore.
• Of the 14 years to complete only 6 were actual construction years. Funding was an issue during construction.
• No one died while building Mount Rushmore.
• The sculpture cost $989,992.32 to build.
• There is a cave behind the carving called the "Hall of Records." It was intended to house the story of Mount Rushmore but was never completed due to lack of funding.
Thanks Beth for hosting
Postcard Friendship Friday.
To see more Of Postcard
Friendship Friday click here!