My family love lima bean soup, I make a pot every other month. I know when I make we will be eating it for a couple of days. Luckily my family does not mind leftovers!
I cook the soup in a large slow cooker for a about 6 hours.
INGREDIENTS:
1 pound of dry baby lima beans
2 32 oz boxes low sodium vegetable broth
Additional water to cover
1 onion diced
4 carrots diced or sliced
4 stalks of celery sliced
3 cloves garlic minced
1 teaspoon celery salt
3 bay leaves
3-4 slices of bacon cut into small strips
3-4 Ham hocks Preferred (or ham steak diced about 1 cup)
2 32 oz boxes low sodium vegetable broth
Additional water to cover
1 onion diced
4 carrots diced or sliced
4 stalks of celery sliced
3 cloves garlic minced
1 teaspoon celery salt
3 bay leaves
3-4 slices of bacon cut into small strips
3-4 Ham hocks Preferred (or ham steak diced about 1 cup)
Over night soak lima beans in about 10 cups of cold water, at least 8 hours.
Next day drain lima beans. Place in slow cooker with all the other ingredients. Slow cook for 6 hours. Pull out the ham hocks and remove ham (not necessary if ham steak was used). Add the ham in the soup. Cook about a half hour longer to warm the ham again.
Ready to serve with cornbread.
You may wonder why so many ham hocks... well there isn't very much meat on one ham hock. I like my soup to have a little more meat than just one ham hock has to offer.
ENJOY!


No comments:
Post a Comment