Winner of the Blog Candy
In a random drawing the winner is!
Morninglass said...
I love your book! You have given me lots of great ideas as well, thank you!
What is a "junk journal", to some it is a journal that you record random thoughts, list, ideas that pop into your head, designs for later use, you get the idea. I heard “Junk Journal” and “junk mail” is the first thing that popped into my mind! Yes, I use mail advertisements, old envelopes, paper bags, pieces of scrapbooking paper, items left over from other projects and much, much more. I do not write in the Junk Journals I create unless I intend to keep it for my use. I believe my journals are similar to “Smash Journals” except I am “smashing” the pages into the book without the journaling. Today I am sharing my version of a "JUNK JOURNAL." These are so much fun to make. Nothing was bought for the sole purpose of creating this journal. Use your finished project for your own journaling or as a gift for an artist friend who will appreciate it!
If you are like me you have a hard time tossing even small bits of paper. Yes, I have to admit my stash of scraps of paper and leftovers from projects is overpowering my studio space. One resolution is creating my JUNK JOURNALS! Choose an old book cover that is left from some other project. Use this as the guide for the size of pages you will make.
When I create cards for my design team projects at Viva Las Vegastamps! I stamp a lot of images on dress maker tissue. Sometimes I don’t use everything I have stamped and it is set aside for later use. What great home for the image of the Balloon Airship (available at VLVS!), my junk journal!
Brown paper bags, sheet music, torn paper are all great candidates for a junk journal. Glue smaller scraps on larger pieces of paper. (Click on pictures to enlarge.) Use your border punch on others. All of those sheets of pattern paper bought years ago and taking up space are perfect for a junk journal. A stray glassine envelope makes a great spot for a keepsake with a little hand to show you it is there!!!
Old envelopes, vintage postcards, advertisements, some Viva Las Vegastamps! Strap Tape found a spot on these pages. Have any left over rub-ons? No where to put them... add them to pages in your junk journal.
Flash cards, bingo cards and old stationary. The sky is the limit... if it is paper laying just around then add it to your junk journal. Photos, vintage school records, old ledger paper all add to the interest of the journal.
Old envelopes, vintage postcards, advertisements, some Viva Las Vegastamps! Strap Tape found a spot on these pages. Have any left over rub-ons? No where to put them... add them to pages in your junk journal.
Flash cards, bingo cards and old stationary. The sky is the limit... if it is paper laying just around then add it to your junk journal. Photos, vintage school records, old ledger paper all add to the interest of the journal.
Hidden treasures add a little fun, this pocket contains a game piece from a popular game in the 60’s.
Gather all the pages and put them in the shell of an old book. I buy books from thrift stores, garage sales and library sales to rip apart for my art. What better way to use the book covers. Three hole punch all the pages and the book cover. Use rings to hold it together. This makes it easier to add pages and move pages around if need be. Sakura Crystal Lacquer was used to secure everything to the cover of the book. The first layer applied was torn old sheet music, covered with lace and trim. The finishing touches a few flowers and ribbons.
The finished journal is ready to use or give as a gift!
Now for my Blog Candy... I love old paper and what a perfect gift to give away on my Junk Journal tutorial. You can win this 1/2 pound packs that I sell at the local antique store, Simply Renewed.
Included in it is vintage paper, pages from old books, buttons, lace and more. All paper is, as is. YOU WILL LOVE IT. Just be sure to leave a comment on this post for a chance to win. I would love for you to become a follower, but it is not necessary to have a chance at the blog candy. I will post the winner Wednesday evening. April 25th about 7PM.
















21 comments:
I've often considered making a journal similar to this. You've inspired me!
My niece is crazy about Smash book. I must show her your post. Even better to win you candy and give it to her to get started on her own handmade smash book. Thanks for sharing
What a beautiful journal. I can't call it a junk journal since there is nothing junky about it. It is an artist's journal. LOVE IT!!!
KathyJo
skrappindiva29 at hotmail dot com
http://skrappindiva.blogspot.com
Amazing Junk Journal! I love how you used even small scraps and pasted them onto other pages. Brilliant!
Love it! I am officially addicted to making books now and see many, many more in my future :D
I love your junk journal! Excellent job!
Genius! I love this idea! It is like making your own smash-type book only better because you can use leftovers from other projects and then have those pieces spark memories as you use the new book. Plus, when I have leftovers bits of stuff I really love I can give it a good home. Also, I never thought of gutting a hardcover book and using the covers - Thank you for that great idea!!
Smashing and Junk Journaling is so much fun!!! What a great little tutorial!
Awesome junk journal. I made one last year from an vintage book covers. Its still sitting in the closet though. Someday I will play with it. LOL
I love your book! You have given me lots of great ideas as well, thank you!
I love the idea of a junk journal, and same as you, have trouble throwing paper away! This is a great way to use it....someday will make one of my own. Thanks for sharing your process and for having the giveaway.
Totally adorable journal, love it and so much work went into it ! x Fab
What a SMASHING smash book!!!! I have seen the ones for sale in the stores, but in NO way do they compare to this beautiful piece of art. It doesn't even need anything else! Great job.
Great way to use up bits & pieces into something beautiful. Love the idea of this.
that is really nice! I like it a lot
Thanks for sharing you fantastic JUNK journal project! I am so inspired...and I think I can create one of these with everything on my table right now...I even treated myself to a combo journaling/glue pen to affix to the cover. Happy Earth Day : )
Love your junk journal. Now I am inspired to use up all that junk overpowering my studio, too. :)
Great junk journal! And I would love to win the bundle of goodies!
LOVE your "junk" journal!! What a fun mix of pages!!
I couldn't believe it when I saw this post. Just the other day, I ran across a book cover/back just begging to be filled, but had no clue how to do so. NEVER thought of using binder rings. Thanks so much for a great tut. Would LOVE to win your giveaway!
Yeppers, I'm a happy follower.
Smiles~
Marilyn
This is great. Have thought about making a junk journal (since I soooo many scraps) but just haven'g gotten there yet. Very inspirational. TFS
Post a Comment